1Nephi 3:7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandements unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

01/12/2011 Only 48 Hours Til Serving the Lord in Paradise

I will be departing on Tuesday so I will be sending back a few things.  Just a little heads up. 

It is weird to think in 48 hours I will be in paradise serving the Lord.  I'm so very grateful for this opportunity and I can't say that enough.  I am so grateful for the spirit here at the MTC.  It is everywhere and in everyone. 

One of the last lessons I had was one of my favorites.  My teacher had us write down the question, "What is the most important aspect of missionary work?"  and then with that question in mind we went into the main building and looked at all the missionary paintings and pictures in the halls in complete silence.  I came across a picture of two missionaries walking down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, with no houses in sight.  When I looked at this I realized that it doesn't matter where you go or how successful you are.  All that matters is that you are serving the Lord and doing your best to help people to come to Christ.  When we got back to the class we all shared what we thought the answer was to the question at the beginning.  After we did that, our teacher told us the answer.  The most important aspect was to develop love for everyone and seeing them as a child of God, no matter what they have done, seeing them through Christ's eyes.  In my personal prayers I have been praying for the gift of charity.  This lesson helped me feel a little bit closer to achieving that goal.

I'm so grateful for the gospel and it is such a great happiness to share it with others.  I'm excited to see how I do in Hawaii.  Hopefully they taught me well in the MTC.  I think I will be okay because the biggest thing they taught us to do is to just listen to the spirit and listen to the investigator, so we didn't have to focus on memorizing the lesson.

It was awesome - one time we had to teach a lesson to an actor and our teacher before and they made us plan every single detail of the lesson we were going to teach.  When we had done  this she told us to review it and practice it on other missionaries.  I could not remember for the life of me what we had written down so I was feeling pretty mad at myself and pretty down.  When we got to the building we were supposed to teach in we had a prayer to invite the spirit as we teach.  When we went in, we taught the lesson almost flawlessly.  The spirit was there and it felt like we were really getting through to him.  This just shows how it is not us who are teaching these people, it is the spirit.  If we don't have the spirit it would be impossible. 

Sincerely,
Elder Pincock

No comments:

Post a Comment